FLU VACCINATIONS 2020-21
Below are the qualifying criteria categories that can have this vaccine for free at the surgery:
- chronic heart, lung, renal, liver disease or neurological disease
- a suppressed immune system
- a permanent household member with a suppressed immune system
- asthma requiring continuous inhaled steroids, or have had an exacerbation requiring steroid tablets
- had a stroke or TIA
- pregnant at any stage of your pregnancy
- if you are a carer
- if you are 65 by 31st March 2021
- Asplenia or dysfunction of spleen
- Morbidly obese (BMI 40 or over)
- Live in a long term residential care home
If you are eligible for the flu vaccination we will send you a letter by the end of September advising you of the time & date you should attend your appointment. If you have received a letter & are unable to come at the time allocated to you please call our team after 11am Monday to Friday on 02083996622.
If you have an egg allergy, please inform the telephonist when speaking with them.
Children aged between 2-3 years on 31st August 2020, will be eligible for the nasal flu vaccine and will be invited by a text or letter.
Children aged 4-11 years old will be eligible for the nasal flu vaccine as part of the universal programme offered in schools - this will not be provided by the surgery.
Children aged 11-17 years old that fall into an AT RISK category e.g. asthmatic or diabetic, or who have a suppressed immune system, will be eligible for the nasal flu vaccine and will be invited by text or letter to have this in the surgery.
If you are housebound or are currently unable to leave your home we will be in contact with you shortly to advise when a member of our team will visit you to administer the flu vaccinations.
The sooner you have the vaccination the sooner you are protected.
The Government’s announcement to expand the programme to 50 – 64 year olds
On 24th July 2020 the Department of Health and Social Care announced an expanded flu vaccination programme to protect vulnerable people and support the NHS. This will include:
- Free vaccine to be made available for people aged 50 to 64 later in the year
- Households of those on the shielded patient list eligible for free flu vaccination
- School programme expanded to the first year of secondary schools for the first time
- Health and social care workers employed through direct payments and/or personal health budgets to deliver domiciliary care to patients and service users
Please note that people in the 50-64-year old age group will not be vaccinated until November and December, providing there is sufficient vaccines, and no appointments will be offered for this age group until then.
This is to ensure that those who are most at risk are vaccinated first. If you are 50-64 and you are in one of the other groups which are eligible for the flu vaccination, for example you have a health condition which puts you at risk from the flu; you will be invited earlier by the surgery.
Any other 50-64 year old will be invited by the Government as Central Surgery cannot undertake these.
Welcome to Central Surgery
We are a dynamic and friendly surgery that is committed to providing excellent care and patient satisfaction.
We have a number of clinicians who have special interests to provide a variety of clinics and services to meet our patients' needs such as chronic disease management (e.g. Diabetes, Asthma, COPD etc.), phlebotomy, minor operations (including acupuncture) and childhood vaccinations.
We operate from a DDA compliant building which was built in 2013. There is wheelchair access and a hearing loop installed at our reception desk.