OUR APPOINTMENT SYSTEM
Types of Appointment
- Telephone Consultation - Under COVID 19 all first contact will be a telephone consultation. Very often a clinician will be able assist you over the telephone without you having the inconvenience of coming into the surgery.
- Medical Emergency on the Day Appointment - These appointments are for patients in need of very urgent medical attention. There are a limited number of these appointments allocated each day. You will need to advise the operator of your medical urgency. You may be contacted by either our Duty Doctor, Practice Clinical Pharmacist or the Practice Paramedic who are all qualified to look after you.
- Video Consultation - When the clinician speaks with you they may decide that a video consultation is more appropriate. Please watch this short video on You Tube to understand the process https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=xxW4ssN3y90. Video consultation - translated resources available here https://www.networks.nhs.uk/networks/news/video-consultations-2013-translated-resources-now-available
- Face to Face Appointment - COVID 19 has limited these appointments to reduce the risk of infection, however after speaking with the clinician they may ask you to come into see them. We will ask you to wash and sanitise your hands upon arrival. They will have already washed their hands and be wearing PPE so to save time in your appointment. Please see this video about how we are operating under infection control guidlines and keeping you safe.
- Home Visits - We understand that some of our patients are housebound or are too unwell on the day to get to the surgery. You must call us before 10am and advise why you cannot come to the surgery. We will need your current telephone number and advise us of any parking restrictions in place where you live. A clinician will visit you if they feel that your medical condition requires it and will also decide how urgent a home visit is needed. You may even be visited at home by a community nurse or the Practice Paramedic if the GP deems it appropriate.
- An Extended Hour Appointment at Central Surgery - if you need an appointment before or after work we do have some appointments to offer from 7.30am and after 18.30pm on some weekdays.
- Kingston GP Chambers (KGPC) - Patients who are registered at Central Surgery can also be given an appointment to see a clinician on a weekday evening (after 6.30pm) in one of the KGPC hubs sited at Surbiton Health Centre, Kingston Health Centre and Merritt Medical Centre depending on availability. Please speak to one of our practice receptionists to find out more information and to book you an appointment.
How to make an Appointment
- Online - these appointments can be made by using your mobile device, computer or laptop and must have signed up for online access.
- Telephone - by calling the surgery on 020 8399 6622 between 08:00 – 18:30 Monday to Friday. You will need to give our trained receptionist a brief explanation of your medical need who will book you in with the most appropriate person in our clinical team. Please be aware that our telephones tend to be the busiest between 8.00-10.30am Mon-Fri so you may find it more convenient to call later in the day.
Length of Appointment
The standard length of an appointment with a clinician is 10 minutes. Whilst our clinicians will do their best to deal with your health issues in the time allocated, this isn't always possible and they may ask you to book another appointment. They have to run on time so not to inconvenience other patients who have booked in after you. If you do have a number of queries that you need to discuss, please inform the receptionist at the time of booking your appointment and advise them why.
Cancelling an Appointment
If you cannot attend an appointment please inform us as soon as possible in order for us to offer the appointment to another patient. Failure to not let us know means that other patients are missing out on valuable appointments and makes the wait for an appointment longer. You can cancel your appointment by calling the surgery telephone number on 020 8399 6622 and selecting Option 2, or you can cancel it using your Online Access account. You can also text the word ‘CANCEL’ back to us when you get the appointment reminder on your mobile phone.
Late arriving for an Appointment
If you arrive more than 10 minutes late for your appointment you may not be seen by the clinician. It is at their discretion if they will still see you. The receptionist will message them who will advise the receptionist what to tell you. You may have to rebook another appointment or the clinician, time allowing, may agree to see you at the end of their surgery. Please allow good time to park as this is not accepted as a reason for lateness.
If you require an interpreter to attend with you when you see one of our clinical team, please advise the receptionist and they will arrange this for you.
Central Surgery is an approved training practice and we believe that helping to educate and train the next generation of doctors and General Practitioners is a very important part of our work.
GP Registrar - a GP Registrar is an experienced doctor, who has usually worked in a hospital for at least 3 years but has elected to undertake additional training to qualify as a GP. We usually have a GP Registrar in post and you can book appointments with them in the usual way you would any other doctor.
Imperial and St George's Medical Students - these students will be shadowing one of our GPs. We are keen that a patient never feels awkward or embarrassed by their presence. You will always be asked if you mind a student sitting in on your consultation. We are always grateful when patients agree, but please do not feel any anxiety saying “no”.
PARKING AT SURBITON HEALTH CENTRE
There is up to 2 hours free parking onsite for visitors to the health centre.
To ensure that the car park is not misused a number plate checking system is in place. ALL patients and visitors to the Practice MUST validate their vehicle every time they use the car park by simply typing their registration number into either the dedicated touch screen situated by the Central Surgery reception desk or by the main doors in the centre.
Failure to validate your vehicle will incur a penalty invoice.
Please note that Central Surgery is a tenant in the building and is not responsible for the car park. It is owned by the landlord who employs Euro Car Parks to manage it. Therefore the surgery cannot get involved in any parking fines/disputes. We are not an NHS organisation as your doctor's surgery is a self employed business. Dr P D Moore and Partners are contracted by NHSE to provide healthcare however are not contracted to provide parking for patients.
You MUST validate your vehicle otherwise you are at risk of getting a ticket. This applies to disabled blue badge holders too.
E- CONSULT SOFTWARE DOCTORLINK
We invite our patients to join DoctorLink. This is a new online service where you can access advice online.
Registration is simple and you can register here: https://app.doctorlink.com/centralsurgery/register
For all urgent appointments, we ask that you undertake a symptom assessment through DoctorLink.
The symptom checker will ask you a number of questions to help to identify your problem.
The outcome of your assessment will direct you to the right treatment, whether emergency care, your GP, nurse or self care.
If your outcome indicates that an appointment is required, you simply click on the request appointment link.
You will then be contacted by the pratice to arrange an appointment within the identified timeframe (as outlined in the outcome of your symptom checker).
The information you provide will be shared with our clinical team (where appropriate) and will assist in providing robust information of your problem to the required clinical team member prior to your appointment. PLEASE NOTE THE PRACTICE WILL GET A REPORT EVEN IF YOU DO NOT PRESS SUBMIT. THIS IS FOR PATIENT SAFETY PURPOSES.
The app is also availabe to download in Google Play or Apple Store
SMS TEXT MESSAGES
We have a texting service which allows you to receive confirmation and reminders for your appointments.
To sign up to this service you will need to complete a consent form.
Please remember to keep us updated with your current contact details for example when you change address, telephone number or/and email address.